Fresh sugar cane juice, white sandy beaches, cool granite buildings under the skies of the Indian Ocean…This has to be Zanzibar… I had an hour before my transfer driver picked me up, so I decided to have a wander round the labyrinth of shops selling everything from Kanga dresses to Fanta drinks. Ribena as well. Comforts of old England.
Anyway, as I strode down one of the wider avenues in town, an old man, around seventy, maybe, grabbed my arm and pulled me over to the side of the street, smiling gently. I soon realised that he wasn’t a threat and he kindly asked me if we could drink coffee together. I agreed and we sat with a group of his friends for several minutes sipping good East African coffee.
He asked me the usual questions.”Where are you from?”, “What brings you here?” and so forth. I gather he probably wanted to use his English. Anyway, we talked for a few minutes and he gave me a run-down on Zanzibar’s history. Having no knowledge of the island, I could only end the conversation with…”I guess so, I don’t know…”. Laughs all around!
- Zanzibar (reclaimandsustain.wordpress.com)
- Zanzibar vs FIFA (talesfromzanzibar.wordpress.com)
- *Zanzibar Grey Rug Rug Size: 7’10 x 10’10 (zanzibargreyrugsize1010y3sale.wordpress.com)
- The Residence, Zanzibar (luxandtravel.wordpress.com)
- Snapshots from Tanzania: Zanzibar’s Street Markets (seriouseats.com)
- Zanzibar (archangeltravel.org)
- +Zanzibar Ivory/Grey Rug Rug Size: 7’10 x 10’10 (zanzibarivorygreyrugsizee4sale.wordpress.com)
- One Day in Zanzibar (humanrightswarrior.com)
- !36 Zanzibar Gem Zamioculcas Succulent Artificial Plant w/Plastic Pot (case of 4) (zanzibarzamioculcassucculentartificialplae7sale.wordpress.com)
- %Artisan Silicone Mold, Zanzibar Elephant (artisansiliconemoldzanzibarelephantm3sale.wordpress.com)