Early May. Gorgeous! Especially if you are travelling to the Italian Riviera when you are only seventeen years old. I was headed for San Remo, having just touched down in Turin. That went fairly smoothly. No trouble at customs.
I made my way, dutifully, to the airports rail link where I asked the station manager when the next train would come. He informed me that it would be only a few minutes.
It was now about 12:30 and I had to wait for another 30 minutes, I don’t recall exactly how long.
The point is that, when I caught the train, It was 13:00. Time was still sufficient. I got off the train around 13:20 and onto the bus, asking the driver, who had poor English, to drop me off at the main train station.
He forgot and, when he stopped at his terminus, it was 13:50. I was now alarmed.
After about 5 minutes of him chatting and me gesturing, he passed me some paper. I wrote “Treno 14:05 San Remo”.
Suddenly understanding, he asked any of the passengers, for some reason still loitering, if they could speak English.
Two young schoolgirls came forward and we rushed to the train station.
It was too late. I got there just in time to see my train leaving the platform. Now what? Call my father and ask him what to do.
So I bought a drink from a stall and used the change in a payphone. I called him and we agreed that the best thing for me to do was catch a train to Savona and, from there, to San Remo.
This happened, the Savona train leaving Turin at 16:05. Two hours behind schedule. I eventually caught the San Remo train, being delayed by two more hours. Lesson learned! Leave AT LEAST three hours between the plane landing and the train leaving the station!
- New test dates Shroud of Turin to era of Christ (usatoday.com)
- %6′ x 9′ Turin Area Rug In Pink Flatweave/Dhurrie Carpet (turinareaflatweavedhurriecarpetn7sale.wordpress.com)
- Celtic fans kick off the party in Turin ahead of their Champions League tie against Juventus (dailyrecord.co.uk)
- Turin Shroud shown live on Italy TV (bbc.co.uk)
- WWII bomb found near Berlin’s main train station (nzweek.com)
- Arjen Robben: ‘Bayern Munich need to score in Turin’ (sportsmole.co.uk)
- Shroud of Turin to be shown on TV (upi.com)
- Pope Francis and the Shroud of Turin (ncronline.org)
- WWII bomb found near Berlin’s main train station (vanguardngr.com)
- Italy: Marco Mengoni Chooses from Four Songs (eurovisiontimes.wordpress.com)